Traffic Exchange

Apr 11, 2013

Woman Wins $40M, Not $40K From Lottery

A Canadian women shocked when when heard the news of winning $40 million dollars after mistakenly thinking it was only $40,000.

According to a report from Chicago’s ABC 7, Maria Carreiro, 51, from Toronto when informed by her daughter that she had won $40,000,000 in Lotto Max she “ran down the street like a crazy woman.”

At a press conference she said that she and her husband would be headed for honeymoon in Hawaii.

"I never had a honeymoon. For 30 years I've been married to my husband," she said.

The mother of three and grandmother of five called it fate.

"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I love you!" she said. "When they put it through the machines, that's when it clicked in. 'Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."

At first, she thought the prize was $40,000, then realized later with her daughter the jackpot was actually much larger.

"I run up the stairs, and me and her run down the stairs, and she went on the computer. and said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer,' and I said, 'No way," Carreiro said.

"It still hasn't sunk in. you know my dad works so hard and we've been struggling so much. It's $40 million; it's so much money," said daughter Manuela.