Traffic Exchange

Mar 14, 2013

Travis Pastrana commercial

Travis Pastrana commercial, With worldwide fame as an action sports star, Travis Pastrana is one of the highest-profile rookies ever to compete in NASCAR. But in a new ESPN commercial, Pastrana's humility comes through clearly.

After dabbling in NASCAR the past two years, Pastrana has given up action sports and made a fulltime transition to stock car racing for 2013, driving a Ford for Roush Fenway Racing.

"I've worked with ESPN in the past through my X Games exploits," Pastrana said. "It's always a lot of fun and I'm honored to have a commercial in NASCAR. Hopefully this will be the start of a successful NASCAR career."

Pastrana is featured in the latest round of ESPN's "Names are Made Here" campaign to promote its season-long coverage of the NASCAR Nationwide Series, considered a breeding ground for future stars of the top-level NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The commercial will begin airing across ESPN platforms on March 18 in advance of ESPN's telecast of the Nationwide Series race at Fontana, Calif., on March 23.

The new spot shows Pastrana in action doing a double flip on a motorcycle at the X Games, performing a jump across a body of water in a car and parachuting from an airplane, then switches to scenes of him racing in NASCAR.

"I have 10 world records," Pastrana says in voiceover. "I have fans all over the world. I even had my own TV show. But here, my name doesn't mean anything.

"Not yet."

Wieden + Kennedy New York is the creative agency for the campaign.