Jun 8, 2014

MH370 families star whistleblower fund

MH370 families star whistleblower fund. Relatives of passengers on Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 are launching a crowd-funding campaign that aims to raise a US$3 million ($3.22 million) reward for whistleblower information about the missing plane.

“We are taking matters into our own hands,” said Sarah Bajc, whose partner, Philip Wood, 50, was on the flight when it disappeared on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Although an extensive and costly search has been underway for weeks, “there is no credible evidence” the jet is in the southern Indian Ocean, Ms Bajc says.

“I’m convinced that somebody is concealing something,” she says.
An additional US$2 million fund for private investigators to pursue leads is also being sought, USA Today reports.

The fund, which will launch on Monday on the indigogo website, is called ‘Reward MH370: The Search for the Truth’ and will seek a minimum donation of US$5. Indiegogo has not previously permitted fundraising for rewards.

The campaign has been initiated by passengers’ relatives from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, France and India, ms Bajc said, but not China or Malaysia.

“Granted, $2 million in investigation services won’t go very far,” Ms Bajc says. “Clearly, they’ve already spent $100 million, and they’ve gotten nothing. But we’re not going to approach it with boats in the ocean. We’re going to approach it with human intelligence.”

“If there was any evidence that that plane was wrecked in the water, even a seat cushion, I would be taking a totally different approach,” Ms Bajc said. “But there’s been nothing.”

Former air chief marshall Angus Houston, who is heading up the search, denies any obfuscation. “Nothing important is being concealed in any way,” he says, adding that analysis is ongoing. Malaysian officials also insist the investigation has been transparent.