Traffic Exchange

Mar 19, 2014

Stephanie Peery Hamman stabbed husband NASCAR worship

Stephanie Peery Hamman stabbed husband NASCAR worship
Stephanie Peery Hamman stabbed husband NASCAR worship. A 23-year-old woman who says she was possessed by the devil drove her car into a church and then stabbed her husband in the chest for “worshipping NASCAR.”

Stephanie Peery Hamman, a former high school cheerleader, drove through the front doors of Providence Church in Tennessee because they were locked and she wanted to return some things.

“God told me He wanted me in there, so I drove my car through the doors. God told me to, so I did it,” she later told police.

Mrs Hamman called her husband, Steven, to say she had wrecked their car and when he arrived he found his wife laying in front of the church alter

As he approached she told him that “the devil is in me” and stabbed him in the chest with a kitchen knife.

“I prayed I would not have to use it on him, but I did,” she said.

Mr Hamman pulled the knife out of his chest and went back to their apartment across the road and waited for paramedics.

Police arrested Mrs Hamman 20 minutes later.

In the police report, Mrs Hamman said she “felt her husband Steven was worshipping the NASCAR race at Bristol, which made her mad, and she began having thoughts that the devil put in her head.”

Mrs Hamman also spoke about her love of smoking pot but said that God told her to cut down on smoking “all day and night” and to only “smoke it at night to help relax.”

She also claimed that she got baptised at the Providence church that morning but the church’s pastor denied this, saying she has never attended that church.

Officers however do believe that Mrs Hamman was baptised that day but at another church.

She is being held in jail without bond. Steven Hamman is in a fair condition in hospital.

Providence Church Pastor Joel Trigg said the couple was in his prayers.