Feb 12, 2014

Man dies posting sunset photos

Man dies posting sunset photos. A California man is dead after authorities say he accidentally came in contact with power lines while trying to take photos of the sunset to post on Facebook.

Family members of 27-year-old David Strohm Jr. spent hours searching for him Saturday night after he'd posted a photos on Facebook of the sunset about 6 p.m. When he failed to return home, his friends and family frantically called his cell phone and went door-to-door looking for him.

Man dies posting sunset photos

Early Sunday, the family continued the search, which is when they found his cell phone on the grass underneath a tree he frequently climbed. About 8:40 p.m. they saw his body perched in the tree and resting against the power lines.

It took rescuers more than an hour to get Strohm's body out of the tree; because he was touching power lines, fire officials had to de-energize the lines - cutting power to dozens of homes - and use special equipment to get his body down.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Strohm lived at the Tustin home with his mother and step-father, who found the man's body. Strohm's father also was at the home Sunday morning when his body was discovered.

Orange County Fire Authority Captain Steve Concialdi told the Orange County Register that the canopy of the tree where Strohm was found is very thick and that he often would climb up there to stand or sit.

Concialdi says it's unclear how he ended up coming into contact with the power lines, but stresses how dangerous it can be to get too close to them.

'Our message is: stay away,' Concialdi told the paper. 'Electricity is so dangerous.'

A spokesman for the Edison power company said the company is investigating the incident and cooperating with authorities.

A neighbor who says he's know the family for years described Strohm as 'just a nice kid' who often helped his neighbors and family.

'Our hearts go out to the family,' Concialdi said.  'It was a very tragic scene.'

Authorities say an autopsy has been scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.