Traffic Exchange

Aug 10, 2013

Oprah Winfrey Switzerland: Winfrey had a brush with racism in Switzerland

Oprah Winfrey Switzerland: Winfrey had a brush with racism in Switzerland
Oprah Winfrey Switzerland: Winfrey had a brush with racism in Switzerland. Winfrey, who has earned $77 million since June last year (12) according to Forbes Magazine's new list of the highest paid TV personalities, was in the country for pal singer Tina Turner's wedding last month (Jul13) when a foolish and snooty shop assistant in Zurich failed to recognize her.

And when the media mogul asked to be shown a luxury purse, the saleswoman refused several times, claiming that it was too expensive for her.

Winfrey, who quietly left the store, tells Entertainment Tonight, "I was in Zurich the other day, for Tina Turner's wedding... (and I went by myself to) a store whose name I will not mention. I didn’t have my eyelashes on, but I was in full Oprah Winfrey gear... But obviously The Oprah Winfrey Show is not shown in Zurich.

"I go into a store and I say to the woman, ‘Excuse me, could I see the bag right above your head?’ and she says to me, ‘No. It’s too expensive...' So I left the store... There's two different ways to handle it. I could've had the whole blow-up thing... but why do that? (Racism) still exists, of course it does."

Oprah is currently promoting her new movie The Butler, which chronicles America's civil rights battles and race riots.