Traffic Exchange

May 18, 2013

Waitress gets $446 tip on a $6 order


Steak ‘n Shake waitress CeCe Bruce reportedly received an over 7000 percent tip on a $5.97 check.

According to WTHR-TV in Indianapolis, it wasn't a rich, one-percenter who dropped the $466 tip. Instead it was one of Bruce's regular customers, a woman named Miss Jo, was eating her breakfast at the restaurant when she saw Bruce being hassled by a a customer at another table.

“I was having a hard time at another table, but kept smiling and going on,” Bruce told WTHR-TV.

Bruce said that she thought it was $46, which would have been a huge tip anyway.

“When I looked again, I said ‘Oh my gosh Miss Jo, I’m not taking that!’” the waitress said. “And she said, ‘Yes, you’re taking it’ and I said no and she said ‘You need to take it’.”

Bruce, who's going to school part-time college student, said the tip couldn't have come at a better time.

As far as Miss Jo is concerned, Bruce said she didn't even get a chance to say a proper thank you.

"She's a really sweet lady and she didn't want any gracious gratitude. She signed the receipt and walked out the door," said Bruce.