Traffic Exchange

Mar 15, 2013

Billy Joel encounter

Billy Joel encounter, We wonder if this has ever happened to Billy Joel before.

At a recent Q&A at Vanderbilt University, a freshman Michael Pollack asked the Piano Man, "I was wondering if I can play with you. I would accompany you, that is."

Joel barely hesitated before saying OK and, after conferring about the arrangement for a minute, the two launched into Joel's 1976 hit "New York State of Mind." Afterward, Joel told the audience, "That's Michael Pollack. Remember that name, guy's got chops!"

Pollack tells Inside Vandy it was an incredible moment.

"I walked up, we spoke about the arrangement for about 15 seconds -- he just went through what he wanted me to play -- and then from there, it was just foggy," says Pollack. "It's hard to remember. I just started playing. ... It was probably the greatest moment of my life, up to date."