Traffic Exchange

May 14, 2011

Mariah Carey Nick Cannon

Mariah Carey Nick Cannon
Nick Cannon, Mariah Carey working on new albums. Nick Cannon is still recovering from the adrenaline rush of welcoming twins with wife Mariah Carey, but the actor/comedian/rapper is staying busy with a new stand-up special and forthcoming musical album, while Carey is working on a new full-length of her own.

"She's planning on having a record out this year," said Cannon of Carey, who gave birth to Moroccan Scott Cannon and Monroe Cannon on April 30.

According to Cannon, Carey completed a good amount of recording a few months ago during her pregnancy. "She's been working away, and we have a studio in the crib, and has totally inspired her on so many different levels. You're definitely gonna see some new phenomenal music from Mariah."

Before that, Cannon's latest comedy special, "Mr. Showbiz," will premiere on U.S. cable network Showtime on May 14, while an accompanying album for the special is set for release two days later.

Cannon said that the stand-up routine makes mention of his rumored feud with Eminem, who took a verbal jab at Carey on his "Relapse" album, but the comedian claimed that it's all in good fun.

"At the end of the day, I don't think anybody was really mad at anybody," he said. "I'm in such a beautiful place in my life that I have no need or reason to be upset or mad at anyone I'm not stirring up the beef. If anything, I'm making fun of the beef."

Cannon plans to follow the stand-up release with "Mr. Showbiz Sings the Hits," an album that blends hip-hop and comedy and showcases a slew of guest stars. "I got a record with Flo Rida, Snoop, Ice Cube, Wyclef, Cee Lo," said Cannon. "We got some hilarious songs. It's kind of bringing the fun back to hip-hop."

Cannon is also finding time to run his NCredible Entertainment management company and assist the career of client Corey Gunz, the New York rapper best known for his appearance on Lil Wayne's single "6 Foot 7 Foot."

Cannon has started putting together "Son of a Gun," a docu-series that follows the rapper's ascent to the hip-hop mainstream and focuses on Gunz's relationship with his father, rapper Peter Gunz.

"I really believe Corey Gunz is a genius, and I wanna see his career thrive, so I just kinda rolled up my sleeves and got involved in a way where I wanna see him win," said Cannon.

Of course, Cannon is taking time to embrace the feeling of becoming a new father at the age of 30, although he's not sure what he'll do on his first Father's Day next month.

"I hadn't really thought about that," he admitted. "I'm used to catering to my father and my grandfather on that day, so to be a father is going to be weird... I'll just sleep, have breakfast in bed or something."